Kareri Lake Trek – Tales of the Hidden Trails
Kareri Lake is also known as Kumawa Lake. It is a high-altitude shallow freshwater lake south of the Dhauladhar Ranges northwest of Dharamsala in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh, India.
Kareri Lake Trek offers scenic views along the trail through jungle trails, streams, scenic lush valleys, steep climbs, scenic mountain views and rocky paths. I can. Kareri Lake is a hidden pristine lake surrounded by lush landscapes and majestic mountains.
What are your plans for trekking on Lake Kareri?
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, I have not traveled during the summer holidays in the last two years. In June 2022 we wanted to try his adventure trekking in Himachal Pradesh. Why did you choose Himachal? Because this state is the closest to our hometown. Even Karen had some recent hiking and trekking experience when hiking Dainkund Peak from Dalhousie in 2019, so she was ready and mentally prepared for this hike.
Who can I contact?
Best way to reach Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh. This can be done freely or by public transport. From Dharamshala, take the local government bus service every morning from 8am to 8:30am to reach Gera village. The village of Kareri is 8 km from Ghera.
How can I contact you?
1. By Air: The nearest airport to Dharamshala is Ghagra Airport. Distance is about 13km
2. By Car: Dharamshala is well connected to Delhi and other parts of northern India by a network of government and private bus companies.
3. By Train: The nearest train station to Dharamshala is Pathankot.
Trekking Starting Point: Nori (Nohari) Bridge –
The Kareri Lake trek starts at Nori (Nohari) Bridge, a 3 km drive from Kaleri Kaz village. The Nyund River flows under the Nori Bridge.
The Terrain –
The Kareri Lake trek takes you through jungle trails, streams, scenic lush valleys, steep climbs, beautiful mountain views and rocky sections. The whole hike is very scenic and beautiful. We continued moving along the Nyund River, which provided us with the constant music of flowing water. It was pretty refreshing.
- Steep Trek
- Kareli Lake Creek Trek
- Jungle Path
- Winding Route
- Valley View
- Trek Stream
- Rocky Route
Shiva Temple – Kareri Lake Sunset –
There is a Shiva Temple near Kareri Lake . The best temples and nature gave a sacred feeling. We admired the beauty of Mother Nature all around us. Honestly, we didn’t want to leave this place. it was very peaceful over there
Camping by the Campfire –
It was cold at night. It was a cool night in June. With the help of our guide, we managed to light the campfire. It was a magical moment in nature. It was a starry night. I had never seen so many stars in the sky before. There was no light pollution, so we had the opportunity to experience nature’s wonders at their best.
The real challenge?
This trail is for those looking for a real challenge. The trail starts in Kareri village and continues for about 10km to a remote village where you can experience rural life. This trek is best planned with a local guide who knows the best places to eat, stay and what to expect along the way.
Some Quick Facts –
1. Trek Start/End Point: Kareri Village
2. Kareri Lake Trek Altitude: 9,650ft
3. Temperature: 8°C to 20°C
4. Kareri Lake Trek Distance: 20 km (round trip)
Day 1 –
- Arrive at Kareri and take a tour of the village. On the first day of our trip to Kareri Lake we will travel from Kareri Village to Kareri Lake.
- Get ready for the hike with a hearty breakfast.
- A strenuous hike through bubbly natural splendor.
- View of Kareri lake from Kareri temple.
- Overnight at Lake Kareri after dinner.
Day 2 –
- Drive from Kareli lake to Kareli village.
- Start with breakfast and walk downhill to Kareri village.
- Enjoy the scenery of nature.
Where to Eat in Kaleri?
Kaleri is still a largely untouristed village, so the cafe scene here is pretty boring. During our exploration of the village, we found a cafe-like place that served the usual nibbles of fries, pancakes, pasta, etc., as well as superb chicken gravy and buttered roti. Run by an old woman and her son, this place was my favorite place to watch the fiery colors of Dhauladhar at sunset.
There is also a grocery store across from this coffee shop. Here you can get basic things like cookies, chips and basic toiletries. dehydration bar, etc..